Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Lasercut Model Transformation









 

For this part of the project, I took the model from the last exercise and continued to modify it, albeit marginally . From there, in order to model the digital representation in a physical manner, I took a series of section cuts through the digital model. I then arranged the section cuts so that they would read from left to right as lowest to highest cut. I had to make separate section cuts for the displacement surface and the solid masses that were in the digital model so there are three varieties of section cut which are organized. I then took those section cuts into AutoCAD so that I could lay out the cuts that were necessary to make the physical model. It was at this point that I wanted to make a model where these section cuts were just etched into plexiglass and those layers of plexiglass then stacked on one another so that the canyons of the digital model would now read as something very different in this next physical iteration. I unfortunately did not have any plexiglass when this occurred to me so I was unable to make that model for class, though it is still my intention. The solid forms that are seen in the digital model would then stay as chipboard solids to keep the contrast between them and the canyon like displacement map that the digital model shows and then they would still be able to sit atop those canyons also like the digital version. It would be interesting to even cut the plexiglass all the way through for the exercise, but retain the square profile all the way up so that the cuts read better through the plexiglass from every angle, instead of being disconnected etches that would be somewhat difficult to read. For the process pages, I started with the two views from last time of my updated model and then zoomed out progressively, showing the model in wireframe with the section planes around it from a top view, and a wireframe axon with only the planes, before the sections were cut. I finished with a side view of the wireframe to show all of the plane cutting through the model, and all of the layers that the physical model will have. Each image is 4" tall and is fitting into a 4X8 zone with exception to the bottom picture which takes up a 4X16 zone. This was done so that the images would read clearer and for consistency across the page. Notice how the views zoom out progressively down the page and while the top images do not necessarily reference the two below them, they give a starting point for each half of the pages reading. The final wide-view image ends both columns simultaneously and balances the page out.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment